22 Oct #31 Fatal Conveniences™: Shoes: Free The Feet
Did you know that each foot contains 26 bones, 30 joints, and more than 100 muscles, tendons, and ligaments? So, this insanely complex anatomical structure accounts for almost 25% of the bones and joints in your entire body. Not to mention the 200,000 nerve endings on the sole of each foot alone! So why do we insist on condemning these incredible sensory powerhouses to a life of padding and cushioning? Guys, it’s time we talked about shoes.
Welcome to Fatal Conveniences™
This is a bite-sized segment that parallels The Darin Olien Show. In these segments, we get into society’s Fatal Conveniences™. I define these as the things we may be doing because the world we live in makes us believe we have to. These things save us time and trick us into thinking they’re actually good for us. But it’s those same things that are breaking down our health and the health of the environment around us.
I’ve spent most of my adult life obsessively researching these “conveniences.” On every show, I pick one topic, and we dive into it. My goal is to make you more aware of these traps so that you can push back on them. Remember, it starts with you and the choices you make. So, if you’re willing to look at your world from a different perspective and make little tweaks that amount to big changes, then this segment is for you.
Strutting Your Stuff Shoeless Is The Way To Go!
Once again, it turns out that even after thousands of years of evolution, Mother Nature still makes the best footwear. But we seem to have forgotten that. When we wear shoes consistently, what we’re doing is reversing this marvel of engineering. Sadly, our love of fashionable footwear has drastically desensitized our feet and changed the way we walk. Therefore, over time, they have even altered the human gait.
For the last 15 years or so, I’ve spent about 90% of my time totally shoe-less. Now, bear with me; I haven’t gone completely bananas just yet. But, by ditching the kicks, you’ll be rewarded with some pretty amazing health benefits.
In this Fatal Conveniences™, I break down the importance of letting your feet breathe. I also look at our feet and how getting a bit more grounded can work its magic across your whole body. I also explore why shoes change the way we walk and the things you can do to retrain your feet to be free.
Other topics in this segment:
- Why we’re getting too much cushion for comfort
- Why we should build up our foot’s sensitivity to the earth
- The research and studies that bring more light to foot health
- Weakness, stiffness, and flat feet- Oh my!
- How you can reconnect with your feet (and nature)
- The best brands for keeping your feet happy
- Why bad foot care affects you from head to toe
Other Great Resources To Dive Into:
- TIME Magazine: The Healthiest Shoes To Wear- According To Science
- Study: Foot strength and stiffness – Shoed Vs. Barefoot
- Article: Flat Feet Are Associated With Knee Pain and Cartilage Damage in Older Adults
- Study: Foot posture, foot function, and low back pain
- Study: Footwear characteristics and foot problems in older people
- Study: Changes in knee and ankle biomechanics using arch support
- Article: Why Not Wearing Shoes Does a Body Good
- Article: Why you shouldn’t wear slippers while you’re working from home
- Steven Sashen’s Website
- Xero ShoesWebsite
- Xero Shoes on Instagram
- Netflix’ Down To Earth’ Official Trailer
- Download Darin’s amazing new lifestyle app and get 3 days free at https://121tribe.com/
- Barukas Nuts 15% discount with code “DARIN”
To register for We Are Podcast, go to WeArePodcast.com/darin. For 20% off your ticket, use the code DARIN.
The Darin Olien Show is produced by the team at Must Amplify. If you’re looking to give a voice to your brand, and make sure that it’s heard by the right people, head to www.mustamplify.com/darin to see what Amplify can do for you.